I just wrote a blog about understanding ADHD and found myself writing out the same tendencies and symptoms you’ve probably seen a million times before. The problem is that the list focuses on the negatives of the “disorder.” The truth is that ADHD is neurological in nature and can also be explained as just different brain wiring. Think of it as being left handed in a right handed world.
At this point, you may be thinking “Yeah, yeah, but what can I do to fix it?”
Before you try to eradicate the “symptoms” completely, think about the advantages of an ADHD wired brain. Here is a completely different list of questions that susses out the positive personality traits of ADHD.
- Do you have lots of energy and enthusiasm?
- Do you like to try new things?
- Are you an idea person?
- Are you intuitive?
- Are you driven in the area of your passion?
- Do you have a great imagination?
- Are you a great problem solver?
- Are you able to bring a high level of concentration to something you’re interested in?
- Are you empathetic?
- Are you easy going?
- Do you have a strong desire to contribute?